- Eliciting Meaning: Using images to spark associations and think differently
- Organizing Meaning: Using visual tools to see your information in new ways
- Conveying Meaning: Using images to get your ideas across more effectively
This is the area that VisualsSpeak specializes in: using images to start conversations, spark insights, and see things differently.
Gerald and Lindsay Zaltman
- Marketing Metaphoria: What Deep Metaphors Reveal About the Minds of Consumers (2008)
There are a number of approaches to using visuals with verbal information in the field of anthropology. The photo-elicitation process has been used since the 1950’s to deepen understanding across cultures. Some of the references to this work include:
- Clark-Ibanez, M. (2004). Framing the social world with photo-elicitation interviews. American Behavioral Scientist, 47(12), 1507 – 1527.
- Collier, J. J. (1957). Photography in anthropology: A report on two experiments. American Anthropologist, 59(5), 843 – 859.
- Collier, J. J., & Collier, M. (1986). Visual anthropology: Photography as a research method (revised and expanded edition ed.). Albuquerque: University of New Mexico.
- Harper, D. (2002). Talking about pictures: A case for photo-elicitation. Visual Studies, 17(1), 13 – 26.
- Samuels, J. (2004). Breaking the ethnographer’s frames: Reflections on the use of photo elicitation in understanding Sri Lankan monastic culture. American Behavioral Scientist, 47(12), 1528 – 1550.
- The Back of the Napkin (Expanded Edition): Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures (2008)
- Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures (2009)
- Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers with Sunni Brown, James Macanufo (2010)
- Marks and Meaning (unbook)
National Visualization and Analytics Center
- Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes and Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity (2010)
- The Grove
Nancy Margulies and Christine Valenza
International Forum of Visual Practitioners
- Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business (2006)
- Mind Mapping Software Blog
- Slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations (2008)
- Resonate: Present Visual Stories That Transform Audiences (2010)
- Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft® Office PowerPoint® 2007 to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire (2008)
- Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery (2008)
- Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations (2009)
- The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations With or Without Slides ( 2010)
- Envisioning information (1990)
- Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narratives (1997)
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (Second ed.) (2001)
- Beautiful Evidence (2006)